Thursday, April 10, 2008

GIS as the enemy

Often I see GIS (and other enterprise systems) putting the brakes on a project or even complicating it. Consultants are asking their clients for full documented requirements, understanding what they must support, and wanting to create full planning documentation. Planning is the best way to start a project, but tell me who has time for this anymore, and where is it being done? Consumers are asking for services and needing results now. GIS has been in the pc and web world for over 15 years, if you have not figured out what users want or how they would use it by now, you will be pushed aside.

My girlfriend runs her own web design business. She is successful because of turn around. Companies flock to her because she does what they ask, and does what they don't know to ask, then creates a design by the next day. I have yet to see someone inside of a company have the same output. Have you heard this conservation before:

co-worker - I need this designed and functional by tomorrow.
designer - I can't I need more time, I have other projects.
co-worker - This is more important.
designer - Well, do you know what you want it to do, what colors it should display, and how long it will be used?
co-worker - No, I just need it done.
designer - Well I can't help you without knowing your requirements.

How team oriented and socially gratifying is that conversation? What happens? The person in need (co-worker) moves on to someone else who can do it, and never asks that designer again for help, or speaking to the person becomes a pet peeve. Unfortunately, that dialogue means businesses must go outside their own company to produce results. Fortunately, it makes my girlfriend a lot of money.

This happens in all industries, but don't let it happen to GIS. If a young whipper-snapper from another department says "I need data in XML to create a mash-up", give it to him. Let him know you support his needs and can offer more.

The more you give, the more he is going to need you. The less you give, the less he is going to need you. If you give a stray dog food, he will come back for more. If you kick him in the ribs, he will stay off your property, but probably poop on your doorstep.

Which answer will produce more for you, your staff, your IT infrastructure, and your budget in the long run?

No comments: